Two factor authentication is now available on mailfence
Mailfence – secure and private email now supports two factor authentication (aka 2FA). This is a technology that provides a stronger authentication mechanism to users by means of the combination of two different components: something that the user knows (username and password) and something that the user possesses (a Time-based One-Time Password – TOTP).
Check our knowledge base post on what to do if your 2FA code is invalid
To use the two factor authentication method, you will need to install any Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP) based application on your smartphone. This app generates a TOTP code that changes after a certain period of time.
Install a TOTP app on your smartphone e.g.,
- Android: Authy, Google Authenticator, FreeOTP, …
- iOS: Authy, Google Authenticator, FreeOTP, …
- Windows Phone: Authenticator, …
In case you prefer, other TOTP apps can be used, on condition they are based on the open standard TOTP algorithm.
To activate the two-factor authentication :
- Connect to your account.
- Go to Settings > Password.
- Click on “Set up the two-factor authentication”.
- On your smartphone, open your TOTP app and scan the provided QR code.
- Enter the code provided by your app as requested.
- Generate backup codes.
- Download backup codes and save them on your most secure digital space.
- They will allow you to access your account in case you loose access to your TOTP app (e.g., phone lost/stolen/broken, etc…)
- Each backup code can only be used once.
- Re-generate them as you get out of them.Every newly generated set of backup codes will invalidate the old one’s – so you will not be able to use the valid (not used) codes from a previous list, once you generate a new set of backup codes.
- When you disable 2FA on your account, the respective backup codes will also be invalidated at that point of time (regardless of how many you’ve used or not). You will have to generate new set of backup codes when you decide to re-enable 2FA anytime later.
- You are all set.
See it in action :
- Once you have activated the two-factor authentication, logout from your Mailfence account.
- You are pushed back to the login page. Enter your username and password and press “Enter”, as usual.
- You will now be redirected to a new page asking you to enter the TOTP code.
- Open your TOTP app on your smartphone and select the code for Mailfence. Enter the code. Press “Send”.
- If you have lost access your TOTP app (or do not have the TOTP code), then click on ‘Enter one of your backup codes’.
- Your are now connected.
– Mailfence Team