Two factor authentication is now available on mailfence
Mailfence – secure and private email now supports Two-factor authentication (aka 2FA). This is a technology that provides a stronger security/identification of users by means of the combination of two different components : something that the user knows (username and password) and something that the user possesses (a Time-based One-Time Password – TOTP).
To use the two-factor authentication method, you will need to install a Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP) application on your smartphone. This app generates a code that changes after a certain period of time.
Install a TOTP app on your smartphone :
To activate the two-factor authentication :
- Connect to your account.
- Go to Settings > Password.
- Click on “Set up the two-factor authentication”.
- On your smartphone, open your TOTP app and flash the QR code provided on the screen.
- Enter the code provided by your app as requested.
- You are all set.
See it in action :
- Once you have activated the two-factor authentication, quit Mailfence (logout).
- You are pushed back to the login page. Enter your username and password and press “Enter”, as usual.
- You will now be redirected to a new page asking you to enter the TOTP code.
- Open your TOTP app on your smartphone and select the code for Mailfence. Enter the code. Press “Send”.
- Your are now connected.